Thursday, April 1, 2010

Almond-Pastry Lemon Squares

This being my first post, I think it's safe to say I'm not quite sure where I want to go with this. I absolutely love baking, and I find myself descending into a cloud of sugar in the kitchen at least twice each week (my boyfriend has become quite the baked-goods connoisseur). As for my personal approach to baking: I'm lactose-intolerant and commited to natural, wholesome cooking. That said, I believe in all good things in moderation, and refuse to bake "healthy" baked goods that are the wrong texture and leave you jonesing for sweets more than before you ate them. I like to take recipes and put a healthy, dairy-free twist on them. But you'll also find butter and cream here, along with vegan and gluten-free recipes, too.

Anyway, let's get down to it: my first recipe. The picture, insterted above, taught me lesson number one of being a food blogger: Take prettier pictures. I will try. These are my almond-pastry lemon squares. You could substitute the butter for coconut or another cooking oil to take out the dairy. Since I was making these as a gift, I kept the butter with all its rich goodness in my pastry crust.

My lemons came straight from a tree in the backyard of the boyfriend's parents, but any organic store-bought ones will do (organic since you will be using the zest and don't want pesticide infused bars). I incoporated almond meal into my crust to add some protein and a slightly higher nutrient density. I tried this before using all almond flour and ended up with soggy, buttery-bottomed lemon treats. This ratio worked really well, giving them a nutty flavor that retained the texture and richness of pastry crust.

Almond-Pastry Lemon Squares
1/3 c. butter
1/4 c. confectioner's sugar
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. almond meal
2 eggs
3/4 c. evaporated cane juice (a very unprocessed form of white sugar)
3-4 tsp. lemon zest
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp. baking powder
confectioner's sugar (for topping)

1. In an electric mixer, beat the butter on high speed until creamy. Mix in the 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar until combined. Beat in the flour and almond meal until totally combined (it will be crumbly in texture).
2. Press it firmly onto the bottom of a greased 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until it just begins to turn gold around the edges.
3. Meanwhile, in electric mixing bowl, combine eggs, evaporated cane juice, flour (note: almond meal will not work here. Tried that. Not-so-pretty results.), lemon peel and juice, and baking powder. Beat for two minutes at medium speed.
4. Pour filling over crust. Bake 20 minutes more until lightly brown around the edges and the center is set. Cool completely. Use a sifter and dust generously with powdered sugar. Cut into bars.

Well, the computer battery's breathing its final breaths of the night, and I need to get myself in bed. Next time, better and more pictures. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment