Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Homemade (Healthier and Yummier) Granola

Since I’m heading off to Oregon this weekend, what more appropriate food to bake and bring along than granola? I never was much of a granola person (too many long, sugar-ridden ingredients in the store-bought stuff), but I was inspired after trying a friend’s homemade version. I lowered the sugar, took out the butter, and can now add granola eating to my list of very hippie-like hobbies.

This is one of my favorite recipes to make because not only can I vary it based on whatever I happen to find lurking in my cupboards, but it’s a cheap and healthy way to shake up breakfast. I make a batch and save it in an airtight plastic container, and eat it mixed with some store-bought cereal and fresh fruit. It would probably make a week’s worth of breakfasts. I say probably because I’m not exactly sure—I can’t manage to keep myself away from it at lunch and around 10 p.m. when the munchies hit, too. It disappears a bit faster around here.



Homemade Granola
2½ c. oatmeal
1 c. sliced nuts (pepitas, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, etc.)
1 c. organic, unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tbsp. cooking oil (canola, coconut, etc.)
2/3 c. agave nectar
¼ c. maple syrup
1½ tsp. almond extract* (see variations at the bottom)
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ c. chopped dried fruit (dates, apricots, cranberries, raisins, etc.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray.
2. Toss oatmeal, nuts, and coconut on the sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring every five minutes to ensure even cooking. Transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
3. Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
4. In a saucepan, combine oil, agave, maple syrup, almond extract, and salt. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Continue to cook for one minute. Pour liquid into the bowl with the oatmeal. Add fruit. Stir until combined.
5. Pour the mixture back onto the baking sheet. Press it down as flatly and evenly as possible. (Using wet fingers helps.) Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven.
6. Let cool completely, two to three hours. Using a metal spatula, break the granola apart. Store in an airtight container.


Variations
* Nuts: I used pepitas and walnuts because that’s what I happened to have in the cupboard. Any combination of nuts will do. I’ve used pistachios, slivered almonds, and pecans, too.
*Dried fruit: The same goes for this ingredient. I happened to have apricots and dried cherries on hand, but raisins, cranberries, pineapple, or even ginger would work. Just make sure larger pieces are cut into smaller, raisin-sized bites.
* Maple syrup: This stuff is PRICEY. (I’m the cheap girl who tries to ration it when friends come over for brunch.) The same amount of brown sugar or honey would work it its place.
* Almond extract: I used this because I ran out of vanilla, and it turned out to be a delicious improvement. Vanilla will work,though, as would other extracts, like maple (mmmmmm).

Here’s to making this particular batch last for at least a week before I polish it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment